Think football. Instead of just saying no all the time we use the following calls to let the boys know exactly what they have done wrong. The motions will help to reinforce the call and will be able to be used in a public setting to let the boys know they are in trouble and why without raising our voices.
- Personal foul (unnecessary roughness, spearing, etc.): An example of actions resulting in this call would be unprovoked aggressiveness, hitting, kicking, shoving, biting etc. Results in 15 yard* penalty.
- Holding: not sharing toys. 5 yard* penalty and loss of toy.
- Delay of game: Refusing to get dressed/ready to leave, resulting in the family running late to their destination. 5 yard* penalty to be assessed when we return home.
- Illegal contact: Intentionally touching simply to annoy/bother. 5 yard* penalty.
- Offsides: Being found somewhere the were specifically told not to be. 5 yard* penalty.
- Unsportsmanlike conduct: Includes talking back, whining, and fit throwing. 15 yard* penalty.
*Each penalty "yard" indicates a lap around our yard. We are still brainstorming on how to apply this to babies who can't quite walk yet. Time-outs will likely be substituted.
Not sure if this plan will be successful, but we are willing to give it a try! We'll keep you updated.
I can just see it...in a few years Kale will have me carrying yellow flags in my waistband, wearing black and white striped shirts, and replacing our hardwood floors with astroturf! I guess it's a good thing God blessed me with two boys!